THE EFFECT OF ACUPRESSURE WRISTBAND ON NAUSEA VOMITING IN BREAST CANCER PATIENTS WHO RECEIVED CHEMOTHERAPY
Keywords:Acupressure wristband, breast cancer, chemotherapy, nausea, vomiting
Chemotherapy is one of the therapies for cancer patients that cause some side effects, one of them is nausea and vomiting. Nausea and vomiting are still felt by patients even though they take antiemetics. Nausea dan vomiting can cause fluid and electrolyte imbalance. The aim of this study was to analysis the effect of combination acupressure wristband and antiemetic among chemotherapy induced nausea vomiting (CINV) on breast cancer patients. This research used quasi experimental research method, with a pre-post test with the control group. The sampling techniques was consecutive sampling with 25 respondents both in intervention group and control group. In the intervention group had received an acupressure wristband. CINV measured on the second day until fourth day after chemotherapy. Nausea and vomiting score were measured twice a day by a telemonitoring methode by Rhodes Index Nausea, Vomiting and Retching (INVR) questionaire. Data were analyzed by paired t-test, independent t-test, Wilcoxon test and Mann Whitney. The result of this study showed that acupressure wristband significantly reduce the chemotherapy induced nausea and vomit (p value = 0.000). The use of acupressure wristband combined with antiemetic therapy can significantly decreaseÂ chemotherapy induced nausea and vomiting in breast cancer patients. Acupressure wristband recommended for consideration nursing intervention in treating breast cancer patients who experience nausea and vomiting.
- Aapro M, Karin J & Petra F. (2013). Pocket books for cancer supportive care: prevention of nausea and vomiting in cancer patients. London: Springer Healthcare.
- Attard CL et al. (2006). The burden of illness f severe nausea and vomiting of pregnancy in the United States. American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology. 186: 220-227.
- Dahlan, S. (2009). Besar sampel dan cara pengambilan sample. Jakarta: Salemba Medika.
- Dharma, K. (2011). Metodologi penelitian keperawatan panduan melaksanakan dan menerapkan hasil penelitian. Jakarta: Trans Info Media.
- Dibble, S.L., Luce, J, Cooper, B.A & Israel, J. (2007). Accupressure for chemotherapy induced nausea and vomiting a randomized clinical trial. Oncology Nursing Forum, 34 (4), 813-820.
- Eunice, E. (2012). The effects of p6 acupressure and nurse provided conseling on chemotherapy induced nausea and vomiting in patients with breast cancer. Oncology Nursing Forum. Vol. 39 No.1.
- Globocan (2012). Estimated cancer incidence, mortality and prevalence worldwide in 2012. Diakses dari http://www.globocan.iarc.fr/pages/factsheetcancer.aspx
- Grunberg, S. M. (2004). Chemotherapy induced nausea vomiting: prevention, detection and treatment-how are we doing. The Journal of Supportive Oncology, 2 (1), 1-12.
- Karch, A., RN, MS. (2011). Focus on nursing pharmacology. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.
- Molassiotis, A., Helin, A.M., Dabbour, R., & Hummerstone, S. (2007). The effect of p6 accupressure in the profilaksis of chemotherapy related nausea and vomiting in breast cancer patients. Complementary Therapies in Medicine, 15 (1), 30-12.
- Pieszak, S. (2011). Cancer based interventions for chemotherapy induced nausea and vomiting. The Oncology Nursing Society. Vol.6. No. 10.
- Piwko C, et al. (2007). The weekly cost of nausea and vomiting of pregnancy for women calling the Toronto Motherisk Program. Current Medical Research and Opinion. 23: 833-840.
- Reed M., & Audisio R. (2010). Management of Breast Cancer in Older Women. New York: Springer Publishing Company.
- Riset Kesehatan Dasar (Riskesdas). (2013). Badan penelitian dan pengembangan kesehatan kementrian kesehatan RI.
- Samad, K., Afshan, G, & Kamal, R. (2003). Effect of acupressure on postoperative nausea and vomiting in laparascopic cholecystectomy. Journal Med Assoc, 53 (2); 68-72.
- Sima, L., & Wang, X. (2009). Therapeutic effect of acupuncture on cisplatin induced nausea and vomiting. Chinese acupuncture and moxibustion. 29: 3-6.
- Smeltzer, S. C., Bare, B. G., Hinkle, J. L., & Cheever, K. H. (2010). Brunner & Suddarthâ€™s textbook of medical surgical nursing (12th ed). Philadelphia: Lippintcott Williams & Wilkins.
Authors published in this journal agree to the following terms:
- The copyright of each article is held by its author.
- Author grants the journal first publication rights with the work simultaneously licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License or CC BY-NC 4.0 license, allowing others to share the work with acknowledgment of authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors may enter into separate additional contractual agreements for the non-exclusive distribution of the published journal version of the work (for example, posting it to an institutional repository or publishing it in a book), with acknowledgment of their initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g. in an Institutional Repository or on their website) before and during the submission process, as this can result in a productive exchange, as well as earlier and larger citations of the published work.
- Articles and all related material published are distributed under Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License or CC BY-NC 4.0 license.
All articles in this journal are the sole responsibility of the author. Journal of Nursing Science Update (JNSU) provides open access to anyone so that the information and findings in this article are useful for everyone. JNSU can be accessed and downloaded free of charge, free of charge, subject to Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License or CC BY-NC 4.0 license .
JNSU is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License or CC BY-NC 4.0 license.