FACTOR ANALYSIS OF HYPOGLICEMIA LEVEL IN EMERGENCY DEPARTMENT OF BLAMBANGAN AND GENTENG GENERAL HOSPITAL BANYUWANGI
Keywords:infection, antidiabetic therapy, meal intake, hypoglicemia
Hipoglycemia was a kind of acute complication of diabetes mellitus. Some factors was assumed associated with degree of hypoglycemia were infection, antidiabetic therapy, and leak of meal intake. This study was to analyse factors associated with degree of hypoglycemia in emergency department. Design was descriptive explorative with retrospective approach. Sum of respondents was 118 medical records. This study was conducted in medical record room in Blambangan hospital and Genteng Hospital from 5 June 2017 to 16 June 2017. Methods of data collection was purposive sampling. The results showed hypoglycemia was happened in majority of infection, using of unappropriate antidiabetic therapy and leak of meal intake. Infection factorsÂ (p=0,000; r=0,494), using of antidiabetic therapy (p=0,000; r=0,411), and leak of meal intake (p=0,000; r=0,619) had correlation with degree of hypoglycemia. Leak of meal intake factors (p=0,000; wald=27.897) had strongly correlation with degree of hypoglycemia. Health workers especially nurses was encouraged to conduct the intervention due to patientâ€™s self control, so that regulation of meal and antidiabetic therapy could work effectively.
- American Diabetes Association (ADA). 2015. Diabetes care. The Journal of Clinical and Applied Reseach and Education; 38(1): S38-S39.
- Asvold, B.O., Sand, T., Hestad, K., and Bjorgaas, M.R. (2010). Cognitive function in type 1 diabetic adults with early exposure to severe hypoglycemia: A 16-year follow-up study. Diabetes Care; 33: 1945-7.
- Bree, A.J., Puente, E.C., Daphna-Iken, D., and Fisher, S.J. (2009). Diabetes increases brain damage caused by severe hypoglycemia. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab; 297: E194-201.
- Cryer, P. (2007). Hypoglycemia in diabetes: pathophysiology, prevalence and prevention. 2nd ed. Alexandria, VA: American Diabetes Association.
- Cryer, P. (2012). Hypoglycemia in diabetes: pathophysiology, prevalence and prevention. 2nd ed. Alexandria, VA: American Diabetes Association.
- Duckworth, W., Abraira, C., Moritz, T., et al. (2009). Glucose control and vascular complications in veterans with type 2 diabetes. N Engl J Med: 360:129â€“139.
- Eren, S.H., Caliskan, M.H., Kilicli, F., Korkmaz, I., Acibucu, F., and Dokmetas, H.S. (2010). Etiologies of patients admitted to emergency department with hypoglycemia. Scientific Research and Essays; 5(12): 1479-1482
- Gogitidze, J.N., Hedrington, M.S., Briscoe, V.J., et al. (2010). Effects of acute hypoglycemia on inflammatory and pro-atherothrombotic biomarkers in individuals with type 1 diabetes and healthy individuals. Diabetes Care; 33:1529â€“1535.
- Guyton, A.C., and Hall, J.E. (2007). Buku Ajar Fisiologi Kedokteran. Edisi 11. Jakarta: EGC.
- Hulkower, R.D., Pollack, R.M., and Zonszein, J. (2014). Understanding Hypoglycemia in Hospitalized Patients. Diabetes Manage; 4(2): 165-176.
- Iglesias, P.T.,& Shannon, M.H. (2012). Managing Hypoglycemia in Primary Care. Journal of Family Practice; 61(10):S1-S7
- Jan, S., T, T., Chen, ., Jerng ,T. 2009. Hypoglycemia associated with bacteremic pneumococcal infections. International Journal of Infectious Diseases; 13:570-576
- Kalra, S; Mukherjee, J.J; Venkataraman, S; Bantwal, G; Shaikh, S; Saboo, B; Das, A.K; Ramachandran, A. (2013). Review Article: Hypoglycemia: The Neglected Complication. Indian Journal of Endocrinology and Metabolism; 17 (5): 819-834.
- Marrett, E., Radican, L., Davies, M.J., et al. (2011). Assessment of severity and frequency of selfreported hypoglycemia on quality of life in patients with type 2 diabetes treated with oral antihyperglycemic agents: A survey study. BMC Res Notes, 4:251.
- Mantovani, A., Grani, G., Chioma, L., Vancieri, G., Giordani, I., Rendina, R., Rinaldi, M.E., and Andreadi, A. (2016). Severe hypoglycemia in patients with known diabetes requiring emergency department care: A report from an Italian multicenter study. Journal of Clinical & Translational Endocrinology; 5: 46â€“52
- Nursalam. 2008. Konsep dan Penerapan Metodologi Penelitian Ilmu Keperawatan. Jakarta: Salemba Medika.
- Philip, E., and Cryer. (2008). The Barrier of Hypoglycemia in Diabetes. Perspective in Diabetes; 57: 3169-3176
- Philip, E. and Cryer. (2013). Mechanisms of Hypoglycemia- Associated Autonomic Failure in Diabetes. The New England Journal of Medicine; 364(4); 362-372.
- Salutini, E., Bianchi, C., Santini, M., Dardano, A., Daniele, G., Penno, G., et al. (2015). Prato Access to emergency room for hypoglycaemia in people with diabetes. Diabetes Metab Res Rev; 31(7): 745-751
- Sommerfield, A.J., Wilkinson, I.B., Webb, D.J., and Frier, B.M. (2007). Vessel wall stiffness in type 1 diabetes and the central hemodynamic effect of acute hypoglycemia. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab; 293: e127-9.
- Shafiee, G., Mohajeri, M., Pajouhi, M., and Larijani, B. (2012). The importance of hypoglycemia in diabetic patients. Journal of Diabetic & Metabolic Disorders; 11(17): 1-7
- Su, Y., and Liao, C. (2015). Hypoglycemia in Emergency Department. Journal of Acute Disease: 59-62
- Su, Y.J., Lai, Y.C., and Liao, C.J. (2017). Hazardous factors besides infection in hypoglycemia. Biomedical Report; (6) 4: 480-484.
- Whitmer, R.A., Karter, A.L., Yaffe, K., Quesenberry, C.P., and Selby, J.V. (2009). Hypoglycemic episode and risk of dementia in older patient with type 2 diabetes mellitus. JAMA; 301: 1565-72.
- Williams, S.A., Pollack, M.F., and Dibonaventura, M. (2010). Effects of hypoglycemia on health-related quality of life, treatment satisfaction and healthcare resource utilization in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus. Diabetes Res Clin Pract, 91:363â€“370.
- Wright, R.J., and Frier, B.M. (2008). Vascular disease and diabetes: Is hypoglycemia an aggravating factor? Diabetes Metab Res Rev; 24:353-63.
Authors published in this journal agree to the following terms:
- The copyright of each article is held by its author.
- Author grants the journal first publication rights with the work simultaneously licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License or CC BY-NC 4.0 license, allowing others to share the work with acknowledgment of authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors may enter into separate additional contractual agreements for the non-exclusive distribution of the published journal version of the work (for example, posting it to an institutional repository or publishing it in a book), with acknowledgment of their initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g. in an Institutional Repository or on their website) before and during the submission process, as this can result in a productive exchange, as well as earlier and larger citations of the published work.
- Articles and all related material published are distributed under Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License or CC BY-NC 4.0 license.
All articles in this journal are the sole responsibility of the author. Journal of Nursing Science Update (JNSU) provides open access to anyone so that the information and findings in this article are useful for everyone. JNSU can be accessed and downloaded free of charge, free of charge, subject to Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License or CC BY-NC 4.0 license .
JNSU is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License or CC BY-NC 4.0 license.