ROLE OF CULTURE TOWARDS COMMUNITY PERCEPTION ABOUT MENTAL DISORDER
Keywords:Culture, mental disorders, perception
- Alahmed, S., Anjum, I., & Masuadi, E. (2018). Perceptions of mental illness etiology and treatment in Saudi Arabian healthcare students: A cross-sectional study. SAGE Open Medicine, Volume 6, 1â€“ 10. https://doi.org/10.1177/2050312118788095
- Andres, B. H., Begonia, T. A. J., & Gonzalez, M. C. A. (2018). Buang at Ulyanin: An Ethnographic Study on the Selected Cases of Schizophrenia and Dementia in Baseco Compound, Manila. Journal of Social Health, Volume 1(Issue 1), 1â€“19.
- AthiÃ©, K., Menezes, A. L. do A., Da Silva, A. M., Campos, M., Delgado, P. G., Fortes, S., & Dowrick, C. (2016). Perceptions of health managers and professionals about mental health and primary care integration in Rio de Janeiro: a mixed methods study. BMC Health Services Research (2016), 16:532. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12913-016-1740-8
- Bedaso, A., Yeneabat, T., Yohannis, Z., Bedasso, K., & Feyera, F. (2016). Community Attitude and Associated Factors towards People with Mental Illness among Residents of Worabe Town, Silte Zone, Southern Nationâ€™s Nationalities and Peopleâ€™s Region, Ethiopia. PLoS ONE. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0149429
- Biswas, J., Gangadhar, B. N., & Keshavan, M. (2016). Cross Cultural Variations in Psychiatristsâ€™ Perception of Mental Illness: A Tool for Teaching Culture in Psychiatry. Asian Journal of Psychiatry. https://doi.org/http://dx.doi.org/doi:10.1016/j.ajp.2016.05.011
- Chan, K. K. S., & Mak, W. W. S. (2014). The mediating role of self-stigma and unmet needs on the recovery of people withschizophrenia living in the community. Quality of Life Research Springer, Vol. 23, No. 9, 23:2559-2568. https://doi.org/10.1007/sl 1136-014-0695-7
- Choudhry, F. R., Mani, V., Ming, L. C., & Khan, T. M. (2016). Beliefs and perception about mental health issues: a meta-synthesis, 2807â€“2818. https://doi.org/188.8.131.52
- Corrigan, P. W., & Watson, A. C. (2002). Understanding the impact of stigma on people with mental illness. World Psychiatry, 1:1-February 2002, 16â€“20.
- Crociata, A., Agovino, M., & Sacco, P. L. (2014). Cultural Access and Mental Health: An Exploratory Study. Social Indicators Research, Vol. 118, No. 1, 18:219-233. https://doi.org/10.1007/s 11205-013-0426-4
- Fellmeth, G., Plugge, E., Paw, M. K., Charunwatthana, P., Nosten, F., & McGready, R. (2015). Pregnant migrant and refugee womenâ€™s perceptions of mental illness on the Thai-Myanmar border: a qualitative study. BMC Pregnancy and Childbirth, 15:93. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12884-015-0517-0
- Fernandez, R. J., Liria, I. C., VaÃ‚zquez, R. R., Fernandez, S. C., Iglesias, M. E. L., & Vallejo, R. B. de B. (2018). Exploring the knowledge, explanatory models of illness, and patterns of healthcare-seeking behaviour of Fang culture-bound syndromes in Equatorial Guinea. PLOS ONE, 1â€“25. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0201339
- Gipson, P., & King, C. (2013). Health behavior theories and research : implications for suicidal individualsâ€™ treatment linkage adherence. Journal cogn Behav Pract, 19(2), 209â€“217. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cbpra.2010.11.005
- GoÂ´mez, S. A., Lavalle, G. A., FernaÂ´ndez, M., Hartfiel, M. I., Borelli, M., Canales, V., & Stolkiner, A. (2015). Social Perceptions About Community Life with People with Mental Illness: Study of a Discharge Program in Buenos Aires Province, Argentina. Community Ment Health J Springer, 51:103â€“110. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10597-014-9753-4
- Hampton, N. Z. (2017). Cultural Orientations and Attitude towards Mental Illness. Journal of Rehabilitation, Volume 83, Number 4, 25â€“33.
- Hanafiah, A. N., & Van Bortel, T. (2015). A qualitative exploration of the perspectives of mental health professionals on stigma and discrimination of mental illness in Malaysia. International Journal of Mental Health Systems, 9:10, 1â€“12. https://doi.org/10.1186/s13033-015-0002-1
- Kabir, M., Iliyasu, Z., Abubakar, I. S., & Aliyu, M. H. (2004). Perception and beliefs about mental illness among adults in Karfi village, northern Nigeria. BMC International Health and Human Rights, 2004, 4:3. https://doi.org/10.1186/1472-698X-4-3
- Kelemen, G. (2017). Social and cultural contexts regarding mental health in Romania. Intervention strategies. Journal Plus Education, Vol XVII (2017), No. 1(1), 215â€“224.
- Kishore, J., Gupta, A., RC, J., & P, B. (2011). Myths, beliefs and perception about mental disorders and health-seeking behavior in Delhi, India. Journal Psychiatry, 53(4), 324â€“329. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.4103/0019-5545.91906
- Mannarini, S., Reikher, A., Shani, S., & Zinovich, I. S. (2017). The role of secure attachment, empathic self-efficacy, and stress perception in causal beliefs related to mental illness â€“ a cross-cultural study: Italy versus Israel. Psychology Research and Behavior Management Dovepress, 10, 313â€“321. https://doi.org/184.108.40.206
- Mantovani, N., Pizzolati, M., & Edge, D. (2016). Exploring the relationship between stigma and help-seeking for mental illness in African-descended faith communities in the UK. Health Expectations Published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd, Vol.20, pp.373â€“384. https://doi.org/10.1111/hex.12464
- Mo Eddie S. K. Chong,Winnie W. S. Mak,Samuel Y. S. Wong and Joseph T. F. Lau, P. K. H., Chong, E. S. K., Mak, W. W. S., Wong, S. Y. S., & Lau, J. T. F. (2016). Physical Activity in People With Mental Illness in Hong Kong: Application of the Health Belief Model. Journal of Sport & Exercise Psychology, 2016, 38, 203â€“208. https://doi.org/http://dx.doi.org/10.1123/jsep.2015-0061
- Nobiling, B. D., & Maykrantz, S. A. (2017). Exploring Perceptions about and Behaviors Related to Mental Illness and Mental Health Service Utilization among College Students Using the Health Belief Model (HBM). American Journal of Health Education, 48(5), 306â€“319. doi:10.1080/19325037.2017.1335628
- Padayachee, P., & Laher, S. (2014). South African Hindu Psychologistsâ€™ Perceptions of Mental Illness. Journal of Religion and Health, Vol. 53, No. 2 (April 2014), 53:424-437. https://doi.org/10.1007/s 10943-012-9646-1
- Pang, S., Subramaniam, M., Lee, S. P., Lau, Y. W., Abdin, E., Chua, B. Y., â€¦ Chong, S. A. (2017). The Singaporean public beliefs about the causes of mental illness: results from a multi-ethnic population-based study. Epidemiology and Psychiatric Sciences, 1â€“10. https://doi.org/10.1017/S2045796017000105
- Peltzer, K., Pengpid, S., Puckpinyo, A., Yi, S., & Anh, L. V. (2016). The utilization of traditional, complementary and alternative medicine for non-communicable diseases and mental disorders in health care patients in Cambodia, Thailand and Vietnam. BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine, 16:92. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12906-016-1078-0
- Ren, Z., Wang, H., Feng, B., Gu, C., Ma, Y., Chen, H., â€¦ Liu, L. (2016). An exploratory cross-sectional study on the impact of education on perception of stigma by Chinese patients with schizophrenia. BMC Health Services Research, 16:210. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12913-016-1424-4
- Riset Kesehatan Dasar, (Riskesdas). (2018). Hasil utama Riskesdas 2018. Kementerian Kesehatan Badan Penelitian dan Pengembangan Kesehatan. Diambil dari https://www.depkes.go.id/resorces/download/info-terkini/materi_rakorpop_2018/Hasil%2520Riskesdas%25202018.pdf
- Rudnick, A., Montgomery, P., Puspoky, R. C., Cohen, B., Forchuk, C., Lahey, P., â€¦ Schofield, R. (2014). Perspectives of social justice among people living with mental illness and poverty: a qualitative study, 22, no.2, 147â€“57. https://doi.org/10.1332/175982714X14007697173759
- Salve, H., Goswami, K., & Sreenivas, V. (2013). Perception and attitude towards mental illness in an urban community in South Delhi â€“a community based study. Indian Journal Psychol Med, 35(2), 154â€“158. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.4103/0253-7176.116244
- Selles, R. R., Zepeda, R., Dane, B. F., Novoa, J. C., Guttfreund, D., Nelson, R., & Storch, E. A. (2015). Parental Perceptions of Mental Health Care for Children in El Salvador, 24:3396â€“3401. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10826-015-0141-7
- Shoesmith, W. D., Borhanuddin, A. F. B. A., Lin, P. Y. P., Abdullah, A. F., Nordin, N., Giridharan, B., â€¦ Fyfe, S. (2017). Reactions to symptoms of mental disorder and help seeking in Sabah, Malaysia. International Journal of Social Psychiatry, 1â€“7. https://doi.org/10.1177/0020764017739643
- Subudhi, C. (2014). Culture and Mental Illness. Social Work Practice in Mental Health: Cross-Cultural Perspectives, 132â€“140. https://doi.org/https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Chittaranjan_Subudhi2/publication/270762975_Culture_and_Mental_Illness/links/54b4adac0cf28ebe92e4818fpdf
- Tanaka, C., Tuliao, M. T. R., Tanaka, E., Yamashita, T., & Matsuo, H. (2018). A qualitative study on the stigma experienced by people with mental health problems and epilepsy in the Philippines. BMC Psychiatry (2018) 18:325, 18:325, 1â€“13. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1186/s12888-018-1902-9
- Vasiliou, M., Kouta, C., & Raftopoulos, V. (2013). The Use of the Cultural Competence Assessment Tool (Ccatool) In Community Nurses: The Pilot Study and Test-Retest Reliability. International Journal of Caring Sciences, Vol 6(1), 44â€“52.
- World Health Organization, (WHO). (2014). Global burden of mental disorders and the need for a comprehensive, coordinated response from health and social sectors at the country level. Diambil dari https://www.who.int/gb/ebwho/pdf_files
- World Health Organization, (WHO). (2018). Mental disorders affect one in four people. Diambil dari https://www.who.int/who/2001/media_centre/press_release/en/
- Wu, H., Zhao, X., Fritzsche, K., Salm, F., Leonhart, R., Jing, W., â€¦ Schaefert, R. (2014). Negative illness perceptions associated with low mental and physical health status in general hospital outpatients in China. Psychology, Health & Medicine, Vol. 19, No. 3, 273â€“285. https://doi.org/10.1080/13548506.2013.802358
How to Cite
Authors published in this journal agree to the following terms:
1. Author grants the journal first publication rights with the work simultaneously licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License or CC BY-NC 4.0 license, allowing others to share the work with acknowledgment of authorship and initial publication in this journal.
2. Authors may enter into separate additional contractual agreements for the non-exclusive distribution of the published journal version of the work (for example, posting it to an institutional repository or publishing it in a book), with acknowledgment of their initial publication in this journal.
3. Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g. in an Institutional Repository or on their website) before and during the submission process, as this can result in a productive exchange, as well as earlier and larger citations of the published work.
4. Articles and all related material published are distributed under Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License or CC BY-NC 4.0 license.
All articles in this journal are the sole responsibility of the author. Journal of Nursing Science Update (JNSU) provides open access to anyone so that the information and findings in this article are useful for everyone. JNSU can be accessed and downloaded free of charge, free of charge, subject to Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License or CC BY-NC 4.0 license .
JNSU is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License or CC BY-NC 4.0 license.
Most read articles by the same author(s)
- Maria Julieta Esperanca Naibili, Iman Permana, EFFECTIVENESS OF MINDFULNESS-BASED COGNITIVE THERAPY (MBCT) TOWARDS DEPRESSION , Journal of Nursing Science Update (JNSU): Vol. 8 No. 1 (2020)
- Maria Julieta Esperanca Naibili, Sri Sat Titi Hamranani, Melania Wahyuningsih, Relationship between Knowledge Level and Anxiety Facing Childbirth in Primiparous Mothers at Panembahan Senopati Hospital Bantul , Journal of Nursing Science Update (JNSU): Vol. 10 No. 2 (2022): November