THE EFFECT OF SPIRITUALITY ON THE SYNDROME OF BURN OUT AND NURSE TURNOVER INTENTION AT THE ISLAMIC HOSPITAL OF GONDANGLEGI MALANG
Keywords:spirituality, burn out, nurse turnover intention
AbstractNurse spirituality is the effort of nurses to find the highest meaning of work life in the hospital and communicate between individuals and coworkers. Nurse spirituality has three dimensions, namely inner life, meaningful work and belonging in the community. These three dimensions will facilitate the nurse to create a feeling of prosperity and fun while working. This will affect burn out syndrome and turnover intention. The purpose of this study was to determine the effect of spirituality on the syndrome of burn out and nurse turnover intention at the Islamic Hospital of Gondanglegi Malang.The method used is a quantitative with cross sectional design and Partial Least Square(PLS) approach. The population in this study were all nurses who worked at the Islamic Hospital of Gondanglegi Malang and we used total sampling to obtain the respondents. We collect data used questionnaire in 118 nurses on September 2018.The results showed that spirituality had a negativeand significant effect on the occurrence of burn out with a path coefficient value of -0.448 and t-statistic of 8.674 (t-statistic > 1,96). There is a negative and significant influence of spirituality on turnover intention with a path coefficient value of -0.174 and t-statistic of 2.526. There is a positive and significant effect of burn out on turnover intention with a path coefficient value of 0.608 and t-statistic of 9.183. In conclusions there were a significant effect of spirituality on burn out syndrome and nurse turnover intention at the Islamic Hospital of Gondanglegi Malang. This study illustrates that the higher the nurseâ€™s spirituality in the hospital will reduce the
occurrence of burn out and turnover intention.
- Akintola, O., Hlengwa, W. M. dan Dageid, W. (2013) â€˜Perceived stress dan burnout among volunteer caregivers working in AIDS care in S outh A fricaâ€™, Journal of advanced nursing. Wiley Online Library, 69(12), pp. 2738â€“2749.
- Ariyani (2009) â€˜Analisis pengetahuan dan motivasi perawat yang mempengaruhi sikap mendukung penerapan program patient safety di instalasi perawatan intensif rsud dr. moewardi surakarta tahun 2008â€™, pp. 1â€“125.
- Davis, S., Lind, B. K. dan Sorensen, C. (2013) â€˜A comparison of burnout among oncology nurses working in adult dan pediatric inpatient dan outpatient settings.â€™, in Oncology Nursing Forum.
- Doraiswamy, I. R. dan Deshmukh, M. (2015) â€˜Workplace spirituality dan role stress among nurses in Indiaâ€™, IOSR Journal of Nursing dan Health Science, 4(4), pp. 6â€“13.
- DuBrin, A. J. dan Geerinck, T. (2015) Human relations: Interpersonal, job-oriented skills. Pearson.
- Ema, A. (2004) â€˜Peranan dimensi-dimensi birokrasi terhadap burnout pada perawat rumah sakit di Jakartaâ€™, Jurnal Psyche, 1(1), pp. 33â€“46.
- Ghadi, M. Y. (2017) â€˜The impact of workplace spirituality on voluntary turnover intentions through loneliness in workâ€™, Journal of Economic dan Administrative Sciences. Emerald Publishing Limited, 33(1), pp. 81â€“110.
- Ghosh, N. (2013) â€˜Workplace spirituality-a tool to increase organizational emotional quotientâ€™, International Journal of Research in Management Sciences, 1(2), pp. 1â€“10.
- Golden, J. et al. (2004) â€˜Spirituality dan burnout: An incremental validity studyâ€™, Journal of Psychology dan Theology. SAGE Publications Sage UK: London, Engldan, 32(2), pp. 115â€“125.
- Greenberg, J. dan Baron, R. A. (2009) Behavior in organizations: understdaning dan managing the human side of work. Prentice Hall.
- Griffiths, P. (1998) â€˜An investigation into the description of patientsâ€™ problems by nurses using two different needsâ€based nursing modelsâ€™, Journal of Advanced Nursing. Wiley Online Library, 28(5), pp. 969â€“977.
- Iqbal, Q. dan Hassan, S. H. (2016) â€˜Role of workplace spirituality: Personality traits dan counterproductive workplace behaviors in banking sectorâ€™, International Journal of Management, Accounting dan Economics, 3(12), pp. 806â€“821.
- Lee, T.-R. et al. (2010) â€˜The relationship between spiritual management dan determinants of turnover intentionâ€™, European Business Review. Emerald Group Publishing Limited, 22(1), pp. 102â€“116.
- Malliarou, M. M., Moustaka, E. C. dan Konstantinidis, T. C. (2008) â€˜BURNOUT OF NURSING PERSONNEL IN A REGIONAL UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL.â€™, Health Science Journal, 2(3).
- Maslach, C. dan Leiter, M. P. (2008) The truth about burnout: How organizations cause personal stress dan what to do about it. John Wiley & Sons.
- Maslach, C., Schaufeli, W. B. dan Leiter, M. P. (2001) â€˜Job burnoutâ€™, Annual review of psychology. Annual Reviews 4139 El Camino Way, PO Box 10139, Palo Alto, CA 94303-0139, USA, 52(1), pp. 397â€“422.
- Nur, M. (2016) â€˜Beban kerja padat perawat tetap wajib senyumâ€™, Jawa Pos. Available at: http://www.jawapos.com/read/2016/11/12/63798/beban-kerja-padat perawat -tetapwajib-senyum.
- Papalia, D. E., Olds, S. W. dan Feldman, R. D. (2007) Human development. McGraw-Hill.
- Praptianingsih, S. (2006) â€˜Kedudukan hukum perawat dalam upaya pelayanan kesehatan di rumah sakitâ€™, Jakarta: PT Raja Grafindo Persada.
- Pratiwi, A. K. dan Nurtjahjanti, H. (2018) â€˜HUBUNGAN ANTARA SPIRITUALITAS KERJA DENGAN BURNOUT PADA PERAWAT RAWAT INAP RSI SULTAN AGUNG KOTA SEMARANGâ€™, Empati, 7(1), pp. 269â€“273.
- Schaufeli, W. B. dan Janczur, B. (1994) â€˜Burnout among nurses: A Polish-Dutch comparisonâ€™, Journal of cross-cultural psychology. Sage Publications Sage CA: Thousdan Oaks, CA, 25(1), pp. 95â€“113.
- Shaw, J. D., Gupta, N. dan Delery, J. E. (2005) â€˜Alternative conceptualizations of the relationship between voluntary turnover dan organizational performanceâ€™, Academy of management journal. Academy of Management Briarcliff Manor, NY 10510, 48(1), pp. 50â€“68.
- Simmons, B., Nelson, D. dan Neal, L. (2001) â€˜A comparison of the positive dan negative work attitudes of home health care dan hospital nursesâ€™, Health care management review. LWW, 26(3), pp. 63â€“74.
- Spector, P. (1996) â€˜Industrialdan Organizational Psychology: Researchdan Practiceâ€™, USA: John Wiley&Sons Inc. Publications.
- Swider, B. W. dan Zimmerman, R. D. (2010) â€˜Born to burnout: A meta-analytic path model of personality, job burnout, dan work outcomesâ€™, Journal of Vocational Behavior. Elsevier, 76(3), pp. 487â€“506.
- Tawale, E. N., Budi, W. dan Nurcholis, G. (2011) â€˜Hubungan antara Motivasi Kerja Perawat dengan Kecenderungan mengalami Burnout pada Perawat di RSUD Seruiâ€“Papuaâ€™, Jurnal Insan, 13(2), pp. 74â€“84.
- Undang-Undang Republik Indonesia Nomor 44 Tahun 2009 Tentang Rumah Sakit. Indonesia
- Wilski, M., Chmielewski, B. dan Tomczak, M. (2015) â€˜Work locus of control dan burnout in Polish physiotherapists: The mediating effect of coping stylesâ€™, International journal of occupational medicine dan environmental health. Nofer Institute of Occupational Medicine, 28(5), p. 875.
Authors published in this journal agree to the following terms:
- The copyright of each article is held by its author.
- Author grants the journal first publication rights with the work simultaneously licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License or CC BY-NC 4.0 license, allowing others to share the work with acknowledgment of authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors may enter into separate additional contractual agreements for the non-exclusive distribution of the published journal version of the work (for example, posting it to an institutional repository or publishing it in a book), with acknowledgment of their initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g. in an Institutional Repository or on their website) before and during the submission process, as this can result in a productive exchange, as well as earlier and larger citations of the published work.
- Articles and all related material published are distributed under Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License or CC BY-NC 4.0 license.
All articles in this journal are the sole responsibility of the author. Journal of Nursing Science Update (JNSU) provides open access to anyone so that the information and findings in this article are useful for everyone. JNSU can be accessed and downloaded free of charge, free of charge, subject to Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License or CC BY-NC 4.0 license .
JNSU is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License or CC BY-NC 4.0 license.