Literature Review: Adolescent Perceptions Toward Teenage Pregnancy
Keywords:Pregnancy, Adolescent, Perception
Teenage pregnancy is one of the health problems in developing countries that has not been resolving yet. Adolescent perception is one of the factors that influence the incident of teenage pregnancy. At present, there are still limited research articles about adolescent perceptions toward teenage pregnancy. The purpose of this literature study is to find out how adolescent perceptions toward teenage pregnancy. This literature study used a scoping review method. There were 6 articles was analyzed after sorting by inclusion criteria consisting of the article contained an explanation or description of adolescent perceptions of teenage pregnancy, the year 2015-2020, English or Indonesian, full text, samples aged 10-19 years. The result of the study found out that adolescents had negative perceptions such as pregnancy among adolescents is too young, teenage pregnancy caused by several factors, and has various negative impacts toward adolescents, parents, and infants. Furthermore, adolescents had positive perceptions such as teenage pregnancy in adolescent is normal, life will not differ, her boyfriend will be responsible to her pregnancy. The conclusions from this literature review were the difference in perceptions between adolescents towards pregnancy in adolescents is influenced by adolescent environmental culture and believed.
- Asnong, C., Fellmeth, G., Plugge, E., Wai, N. S., Pimanpanarak, M., et al.. (2018). Adolescentsâ€™ perceptions and experiences of pregnancy in refugee and migrant communities on the Thailand-Myanmar border: a qualitative study. Reproductive Health. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12978-018-0522-7
- Akbarzadeh, M., Yazdanpanahi, Z., Zarshenas, L., & Sharif, F. (2016). The Women â€™ S Perceptions About Unwanted Pregnancy : A Qualitative Study in Iran. Global Journal of Health Science, 8(5), 189â€“196.
- Amalia, E.H., Azinar, M. (2017). Kehamilan Tidak Diinginkan Pada Remaja. HIGEIA: Jounal Of Public Health Research And Development, 1(1), 1â€“7.
- Anyanwu, F. C., Goon, D. Ter, & Tugli, A. (2013). Perception on the severity of unwanted pregnancy among university students. Pakistan Journal of Medical Sciences, 29(4), 923â€“929.
- Approach, A. E., Lau, F., & Kuziemsky, C. (2016). Handbook of eHealth Evaluation: An Evidence-based Approach. Canada: University of Victoria.
- Arksey, H., & Malley, L. O. (2007). Scoping studies: towards a methodological framework. International Journal of Social Research Methodology, 5579(1), 19â€“32.
- Ayu, S. M., Kurniawati, T. (2017). Unnes Journal of Public Health. Unnes Journal of Public Health, 6(2), 2â€“5.
- Azinar, M. (2013). Perilaku Seksual Pranikah Berisiko Terhadap Kehamilan Tidak Diinginkan. Jurnal Kesehatan Masyarakat, 8(2), 137â€“145.
- Aziato, L., Hindin, M. J., Maya, E. T., Manu, A., Amuasi, S. A., Student, D., â€¦ Ankomah, A. (2016). Adolescentsâ€™ responses to an unintended pregnancy in Ghana: A qualitative study. Journal of Pediatric and Adolescent Gynecology. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpag.2016.06.005
- Badan Kependudukan dan Keluarga Berencana Nasional (BKKBN). (2020). Rencana Strategis BKKBN 2020-2024. Jakarta: Badan Kependudukan dan Keluarga Berencana Nasional.
- Bordens, K. S., Horowitz, I. A. (2008). Social Psychology: Third Edition. USA: Freeload Press.
- Childs, G. D., Knight, C., & Ma, R. W. (2015). Never-Pregnant African American Adolescent Girls Perceptions of Adolescent Pregnancy. Journal of Pediatric Nursing, 30(2), 310â€“320.
- Croby R, Holtgrave D. (2006). The protective value of social capital against teen pregnancy: a state-level analysis. J Adolesc Health, 38(5):556-9.
- Darroch, J., Woog, V., Bankole, A., Ashford, LS. (2016). Adding it up: Costs and benefits of meeting the contraceptive needs of adolescents. New York: Guttmacher Institute
- Ganchimeg T, et al.. (2014). Pregnancy and childbirth outcomes among adolescent mothers: a World Health Organization multicountry study. Bjog. 2014;121(S Suppl 1):40-8.
- Glanz, K., Rimer, barbara k., & Viswanath, K. (2008). Health and Health.
- Grant, M. J., & Hallman, K. K. (2008). Pregnancy-related school dropout and prior school performance in KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa. Studies in Family Planning, 39, 369â€“382.
- Hanum, S. M. F. (2016). Dampak Psikologis Pada Kehamilan Remaja (Studi Ekplorasi Di Desa Watutulis Prambon Sidoarjo). Midwiferia, 1(2), 93.
- Irmawaty, L. (2013). Perilaku Seksual Pranikah Pada Mahasiswa. Jurnal Kesehatan Masyarakat, 9(88), 44â€“52.
- Ismarwaty, I. U. (2017). Faktor faktor yang mempengaruhi kejadian kehamilan tidak diinginkan pada remaja. Journal Of Health Studies, 1(2), 168â€“177.
- Kanku, T., Mash, R. (2010). Attitudes, perceptions and understanding amongst teenagers regarding teenage pregnancy, sexuality and contraception in Taung. South African Family Practice, https://doi.org/10.1080/20786204.2010.10874048.
- Kementrian Kesehatan Republik Indonesia. (n.d.). InfoDATIN Pusat Data dan Informasi Kementrian Kesehatan RI: Situasi Kesehatan Reproduksi Remaja. 2015.
- Kementrian Kesehatan Republik Indonesia. (2018). Survei Demografi dan Kesehatan Indonesia 2017: Buku Remaja. Jakarta: Kementrian Kesehatan Republik Indonesia.
- Kozuki N, Lee A, Silveira M, et al.. (2013). The associations of birth intervals with small-for-gestational-age, preterm, and neonatal and infant mortality: A meta-analysis. BMC Public Health.
- Krugu, J. K., Mevissen, F., MÃ¼nkel, M., & Ruiter, R. (2017). Beyond love: a qualitative analysis of factors associated with teenage pregnancy among young women with pregnancy experience in Bolgatanga, Ghana. Culture, Health and Sexuality, 19(3), 293â€“307.
- Lebese, R. T., Maputle, M. S., Mabunda, J. T., & Chauke, P. K. (2018). Knowledge , Attitudes and Perception of Students on Teenage Pregnancy : A Case Study of Rural Based University Students in South Africa Knowledge , Attitudes and Perception of Students on Teenage Pregnancy : A Case Study of Rural Based University Students in South Africa. Journal Of Human Ecology. 9274 (January).
- Madlala, S. T., Sibiya, M. N., Ngxongo, T. S. P. (2018). Perceptions of young men at the Free State School of Nursing with regards to teenage pregnancy. African Journal of Primary Health Care & Family Medicine.
- Magowe, M. K. M., Seloilwe, E., Dithole, K., & Lawrence, J. S. T. (2017). Perceptions of key participants about Botswana adolescents â€™ risks of unplanned pregnancy , sexually transmitted diseases , and HIV : Qualitative findings. Japan Journal Of Nursing Sciences. https://doi.org/10.1111/jjns.12177
- Maly, C., McClendon, K. A., Baumgartner, J. N., Nakyanjo, N., Ddaaki, W. G., Serwadda, D., â€¦ Wagman, J. A. (2017). Perceptions of Adolescent Pregnancy Among Teenage Girls in Rakai, Uganda. Global Qualitative Nursing Research, 4. https://doi.org/10.1177/2333393617720555
- Manuaba, Manuaba, C., Manuaba, F. (2003). Pengantar Kuliah Obstetri. Jakarta: EGC.
- Mgbokwere, D. O., Esienumoh, E. E., & Uyana, D. A. (2015). Perception and attitudes of parents towards teenage pregnancy in a rural community of Cross river state, Nigeria. Global Journal of Pure and Applied Sciences, 21(2), 181.
- Neal S, Matthews Z, Frost M, et al.. (2015). Childbearing in adolescents aged 12â€“15 years in low resource countries: a neglected issue
- Panova, O. V., Kulikov, A. M., Berchtold, A., & Suris, J. C. (2016). Factors Associated with Unwanted Pregnancy among Adolescents in Russia. Journal of Pediatric and Adolescent Gynecology, 29(5), 501â€“505.
- Papalia, D. E., Feldman, R. D. (2012). Experience Human Development, 12 ed (12th ed.). New York: McGraw_Hill.
- Pardue MA. (2003). Increased absence causes a large drop in teen pregnancy. Policy research analysis. USA: The Heritage Foundation. Available from: http://www.heritage.org./research/ family
- Poudel, S., Upadhaya, N., Khatri, R. B., Ghimire, P. R. (2018). Trends and factors associated with pregnancies among adolescent women in Nepal: Pooled analysis of Nepal Demographic and Health Surveys (2006, 2011 and 2016). PLOS one. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0202107.
- Poulin, M. J. (2007). Sex, Money, and Premarital Relationships in Southern Malawi. Social Science and Medicine 65 (11): 2383â€“2393.
- Rahman, M., Berenson, A. B., & Herrera, S. R. (2013). Perceived susceptibility to pregnancy and its association with safer sex , contraceptive adherence and subsequent pregnancy among adolescent and young adult women. Contraception, 87(4), 437â€“442.
- Rahmatin, R., Laksono, B., & Rustiana, E. R. (2018). Adolescent Sexual Behaviour At Risk of Unintended Pregnancy And HIV/AIDS. Public Health Perspective Journal, 3(2), 108â€“116.
- Rakhmat, J. (2005). Psikologi Komunikasi. Bandung: PT Remaja Rosdakarya.
- Robbins, S. P. (2002). Organizational Behavior. New Jersey: Prentice Hall.
- Ruedinger E, Cox JE. (2012). Adolescent childbearing: consequences and interventions. Curr Opin Pediatr.
- Sarwono, S. (2016). Psikologi Remaja. Jakarta: Rajawali Pers.
- Siegel RS, Brandon AR. (2014). Adolescents, pregnancy, and mental health. J Pediatr Adolesc Gynecol. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpag.2013.09.008.
- Udmuangpia, T., HÃ¤ggstrÃ¶m- Nordin, E., Worawong, C., Tanglakmankhonge, K., Bloom, T. (2017). A Qualitative study: Perceptions Regarding Adolescent Pregnancy Among A Group of Thai Adolescents in Sweden. Pacific Rim Int J Nurs Res 2017, Vol. 21., No, 1.
- Wagman, J., Baumgartner, J. N., Geary, C. W., Nakyanjo, N., Ddaaki, W. G., Serwadda, D., . . . Wawer, M. J. (2009). Experiences of sexual coercion among adolescent women: Qualitative findings from Rakai District, Uganda. Journal of Interpersonal Violence, 24, 2073â€“2095.
- Walgito, B. (2010). Pengantar Psikologi Umum. Yogjakarta: ANDI.
- Zainafree, I. (2015). Perilaku Seksual Dan Implikasinya Terhadap Kebutuhan Layanan Kesehatan Reproduksi Remaja Di Lingkungan Kampus (Studi Kasus Pada Mahasiswa Universitas Negeri Semarang). Unnes Journal of Public Health., 4(3), 1â€“7.
- World Bank. (2017). Economic impacts of child marriage: Global synthesis report. Washington, DC: World Bank
- World Health Organization (WHO). (2020). Adolescent Health. World Health Organization. https://www.who.int/southeastasia/health-topics/adolescent-health
- World Health Organization (WHO). (2020). Adolescent pregnancy. http://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheet/detail/adolescent-pregnancy
- World Health Organization (WHO). (2016). Preventing early pregnancy and poor reproductive outcomes among adolescents in developing countries. Geneva: WHO
- World Health Organization (WHO). (2016) Global health estimates 2015: deaths by cause, age, sex, by country and by region, 2000â€“2015. Geneva: WHO
- World Health Organization (WHO). (2014). Adolescent Pregnancy. New York: UNICEF.
- World Health Organization (WHO). (2013). Global and regional estimates on violence against women: Prevalence and health effects of intimate partner violence and non-partner sexual violence. Geneva: WHO.
Authors published in this journal agree to the following terms:
- The copyright of each article is held by its author.
- Author grants the journal first publication rights with the work simultaneously licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License or CC BY-NC 4.0 license, allowing others to share the work with acknowledgment of authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors may enter into separate additional contractual agreements for the non-exclusive distribution of the published journal version of the work (for example, posting it to an institutional repository or publishing it in a book), with acknowledgment of their initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g. in an Institutional Repository or on their website) before and during the submission process, as this can result in a productive exchange, as well as earlier and larger citations of the published work.
- Articles and all related material published are distributed under Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License or CC BY-NC 4.0 license.
All articles in this journal are the sole responsibility of the author. Journal of Nursing Science Update (JNSU) provides open access to anyone so that the information and findings in this article are useful for everyone. JNSU can be accessed and downloaded free of charge, free of charge, subject to Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License or CC BY-NC 4.0 license .
JNSU is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License or CC BY-NC 4.0 license.