Literature Study: Types of Social Support in Adolescents with Unwanted Pregnancy
Keywords:Adolescents, social support, Unwanted pregnancy
Unwanted Pregnancy in adolescents can create a negative impact on adolescents who experience it. Management of Unwanted Pregnancy by providing social support are needed to reduce the perceived impact. The limited articles on the types of social support for adolescents experiencing Unwanted Pregnancy made this literature study aimed to find out the types of social support that can be provided to adolescents who experience Unwanted Pregnancy. This research method was scoping review using search engines such as EBSCOHost, Google Scholar, and PubMed. The keywords used were "adolescents" OR "teenagers" OR "young adults" OR "student" AND "unwanted pregnancy" AND "social support". The result of article search based on inclusion and exclusion criteria had found 6 articles. Critical appraisal was done using a JBI critical appraisal checklist with a result of 6 selected articles which stated as eligible sources to be used as source of references in this literature study. The result of the review of 6 articles with content analysis found that there were 10 types of social support that can be provided to adolescents who experience Unwanted Pregnancy. The types of social support were providing information, counseling, communication, emotional support, financial support, assistance, accountability, appreciation, providing shelter and providing educational facilities. Recommendations for further research are expected to do a further analysis on types of social support that has been found, so that it can be implemented to reduce the impact on adolescents with Unwanted Pregnancy.
- Aderibigbe, S. A., Araoye, M. O., Akande, T. M., Musa, O. I., Monehin, J. O., & Babatunde, O. A. (2011). Teenage pregnancy and prevalence of abortion among in-school adolescents in north central, Nigeria. Asian Social Science, 7(1), 122â€“125. https://doi.org/10.5539/ass.v7n1p122
- Ardhia, D., Wahyuni, B., & Nisman, W. A. (2018). Adolescents â€™ experiences and needs of social support from health staff in pregnancy in Yogyakarta. BKM Journal of Community Medicine and Public Health, 34(1), 25â€“32.
- Astuti, A. W. (2018). Kehamilan Tidak Diinginkan. (Online). (SuaraMerdeka.Com. https://www.suaramerd eka.com/smcetak/baca/140461/kehamilan-tidak-diinginkan diakses pada tanggal 7 Maret 2021)
- Babington, L. M., Malone, L., Kelley, B. R., & Cpnp, E. (2014). Perceived social support , self esteem , and pregnancy status among Dominican adolescents. Applied Nursing Research. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apnr.2014.08.001
- BKKBN. (2016). Laporan Kinerja Instansi Pemerintah 2016. Badan Kependudukan Dan Keluarga Berencana Nasional. Retrieved September 29, 2019, from https://www.bkkbn.go.id/po-content/uploads/LAKIP_Pusna_2018.pdf
- Dibaba, Y., Fantahun, M., & Hindin, M. J. (2013). The association of unwanted pregnancy and social support with depressive symptoms in pregnancy : evidence from rural Southwestern Ethiopia. 1â€“8.
- Fajrina, D. D. (2012). Resiliensi pada remaja putri yang mengalami kehamilan tidak diinginkan akibat kekerasan seksual. Jurnal Penelitian Dan Pengukuran Psikologi, 1(1).
- Hanum, S. M. (2015). Dampak psikologis pada kehamilan remaja (studi ekplorasi di desa watutulis prambon sidoarjo). Midwiferia, 1(2).
- Hardjo, S., & Novita, E. (2015). Hubungan dukungan sosial dengan psychological wellbeing pada remaja korban sexual abuse. Jurnal Magister Psikologi UMA, 7(1), 12â€“19.
- Hasiolan, M. I. S., & Sutejo. (2015). Efek Dukungan Emosional Keluarga pada Harga Diri Remaja: Pilot Study. Jurnal Keperawatan Indonesia, 18(2), 67â€“71. https://doi.org/10.7454/jki.v18i2.400
- Husaeni, L. (2013). Depresi pada remaja putri yang hamil di luar nikah. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.0703993104
- Mcmichael, C. (2013). Unplanned but not unwanted ? Teen pregnancy and parenthood among young people with refugee backgrounds. Journal of Youth Studies, 16(5), 37â€“41. https://doi.org/10.1080/13676261.2012.744813
- Mohammadi, E., Nourizadeh, R., & Simbar, M. (2015). Iranian Azeri womenâ€™s perceptions of unintended pregnancy: A qualitative study. Iranian Journal of Nursing and Midwifery Research, 20(2), 255â€“262. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4387652/
- Mulyanti, L. (2017). Pengambilan Keputusan Pro Life Pada Remaja Dengan Kehamilan Tidak Diinginkan (Ktd) Di Semarang. Jurnal Kebidanan, 6(1), 28. https://doi.org/10.26714/jk.6.1.2017.28-34
- Nawati, & Nurhayati, F. (2018). Dampak Kehamilan Tidak Diinginkan terhadap Perawatan Kehamilan dan Bayi (Studi Fenomenologi). Jurnal Kesehatan, 9(April), 21â€“25.
- Pinheiro, R. T., Coelho, F. M. D. C., Da Silva, R. A., Quevedo, L. D. Ã., Souza, L. D. D. M., Castelli, R. D., De Matos, M. B., & Pinheiro, K. A. T. (2012). Suicidal behavior in pregnant teenagers in southern Brazil: Social, obstetric and psychiatric correlates. Journal of Affective Disorders, 136(3), 520â€“525. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jad.2011.10.037
- PKBI. (2014). Kehamilan Tidak Diinginkan. Retrieved from https://pkbi-diy.info/kehamilan-yang-tidak-diinginkan/
- Proboastiningrum, F. D. (2016). Case study of self and social compliance teenager married by accident. Bimbingan Dan Konseling, Volume 7(5).
- Puspita, L., Hasanah, I., & Ifayanti, H. (2020). Pengaruh Penyuluhan Kesehatan Reproduksi Terhadap Tingkat Pengetahuan Siswa Kelas X Dan Xi Tentang Kehamilan Remaja Di Luar Nikah Di Smk Darusy Syafaâ€™ah Kota Gajah Tahun 2019. Jurnal Maternitas Aisyah, 1(1), 61â€“69.
- Sarafino, E. p, & Smith, T. w. (2011). Health Psychology biopsychosocial interactions. Wiley India Pvt. Limited.
- Shahry, P., Kalhori, S. R. N., & Esfandiyari, A. (2016). A Comparative Study of Perceived Social Support and Self-Efficacy among Women with Wanted and Unwanted Pregnancy O riginal A rticle. International Journal Community Based Nursing Midwifery, 4(2), 176â€“185.
- Tatum, C., Rueda, M., Bain, J., Clyde, J., & Carino, G. (2012). Decisionmaking Regarding Unwanted Pregnancy among Adolescents in Mexico City: A Qualitative Study. Studies in Family Planning, 43(1), 43â€“56. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1728-4465.2012.00301.x
- WHO. (2020). Adolescent Pregnancy. World Health Organization. https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/adolescent-pregnancy
- Wilson-mitchell, K., Bennett, J., & Stennett, R. (2014). Psychological Health and Life Experiences of Pregnant Adolescent Mothers in Jamaica. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 4729â€“4744. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph110504729
- Zenebe, M., & Haukanes, H. (2019). When abortion is not within reach: Ethiopian university students struggling with unintended pregnancies. International Journal for Equity in Health, 18(1), 1â€“14. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12939-019-0925-2
Authors published in this journal agree to the following terms:
- The copyright of each article is held by its author.
- Author grants the journal first publication rights with the work simultaneously licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License or CC BY-NC 4.0 license, allowing others to share the work with acknowledgment of authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors may enter into separate additional contractual agreements for the non-exclusive distribution of the published journal version of the work (for example, posting it to an institutional repository or publishing it in a book), with acknowledgment of their initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g. in an Institutional Repository or on their website) before and during the submission process, as this can result in a productive exchange, as well as earlier and larger citations of the published work.
- Articles and all related material published are distributed under Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License or CC BY-NC 4.0 license.
All articles in this journal are the sole responsibility of the author. Journal of Nursing Science Update (JNSU) provides open access to anyone so that the information and findings in this article are useful for everyone. JNSU can be accessed and downloaded free of charge, free of charge, subject to Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License or CC BY-NC 4.0 license .
JNSU is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License or CC BY-NC 4.0 license.