FAMILY SUPPORT IN IMPROVING INDEPENDENCE OF STROKE PATIENTS
Keywords:Stroke, Family Support, Independent
Stroke is a condition which occurs when the brain's blood vessels fail to supply oxygen to the brain cells which caused the brain not functioning properly. As such, stroke patients cannot fully support themselves. However, with constant and proper treatment, it can ease the burden on the patients, minimizing their disability, and reducing their dependence towards others while undergoing an activity. During the recovery phase, family plays an important role, they served as a source of support even during the healing and rehabilitation phase, as such, they are expected to be involved in the process of treatment since the very beginning. The purpose of this study is to identify the correlation of family support with stroke patientsâ€™ independence in the medical rehabilitation center of Dr. Iskak hospital Tulungagung. In order to focus on the stroke patients, this research uses a purposive sampling method which follows certain predetermined criteria. The research data were collected by using structured interview techniques by utilizing Barthel Indexâ€™s Instrument and family support instrument. Based on the results of the study, out of 57 respondents, the average score for family support was 87,84 while the stroke patientsâ€™ independence receives an average score of 81,75. Statistical analysis showed significant value = 0.00 whereas its sig value <Î± = 0.05 These numbers show a strong connection between family support with independence, which means that there is a correlation between family support and stroke patients independence. In conclusion, by giving a better family support the stroke patients can gradually become more independent. Essentially, in order for the stroke patients to gain better condition, it is advised that the paramedics should improve their role in providing education about the importance of family support towards stroke patientsâ€™ family members as the family plays an important role during the recovery process.
- Ahmad, M., Graham, K.M. Tanpa Tahun. Inflamation After Stroke: Mechanism and Therapeutic Approaches. Trans Strooke Res, 1010;1 (2): 74-75
- American Stroke Association, 2012. About Stroke, (Online), (http://www.strokeassociation.org/STROKEORG/AboutStroke/TypesofStroke/Types-of-Stroke UCM 308531 SubHomePage.jsp#, diakses November 2015)
- Baehr, M., Frostcher, M, 2007. Diagnosis Topik Neuroligi DUUS: Anatomi. Fisiologi Tanda dan Gejala. Jakarta:Penerbit Buku Kedokteran EGC.
- BKKBN, 2009. (Online), (http://nad.bkkbn.go.id/, diakses November 2015).
- Black, J. M., & Hawks, J. H. 2009. Medical Surgical Nursing Clinical Management For Positive Outcomes. 8th edition. St. Louis, Missouri:Saunders Elsevier
- Cameron et al. 2014. Randomized Clinical Trial of the Timing It Right Stroke Family Support Program:Research Protocol. BMC Health Services Research 2014 14:18.
- CDC, 2014. Stroke Maps and Data Sources, (Online), (http://www.cdc.gov/stroke/maps_data.html, diakses November 2015).
- CDC, 2014. About Stroke, (Online),
- (http://www.cdc.gov/stroke/about.html, diakses November 2015).
- Dillon, P. M. 2007. Nursing Health Assessment: A Critical Thinking, Case Studies Approach. 2th Edition. Philadelphia: F. A. Davis Company.
- Christine, Merlyn. 2010. Hubungan Dukungan Keluarga dengan Respon Cemas Anak Usia Sekolah terhadap Pemasangan Intravena di Rumah Sakit Advent Medan. Skripsi. Tidak dipublikasikan
- Cuccurullo , Sara. 2014. Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Board Review, Third Edition. USA:Demosmedical.
- DeLaune, S. C., & Ladner, P. K. 2002. Fundamental of Nursing: Standards & Practice. 2nd ed. United States of America: Delmar Thomson Learning, Inc.
- DEPKES, 2014. Presiden Resmikan RS Pusat Otak Nasional, (Online), (http://www.depkes.go.id/article/view/201407200001/presiden-resmikan-rs-pusat-otak-nasional.html, diakses November 2014).
- Endriyani, Lia. 2011. Hubungan Dukungan Keluarga dengan Kemandirian Activities Of Daily Living Pasien Post Stroke di RSU PKU Muhammadiyah Bantul. Naskah Publikasi.
- Friedman, M. 2010. Buku Ajar Keperawatan keluarga : Riset, Teori, dan Praktek. Edisi ke-5. Jakarta: EGC.
- Gillen, G. 2015. Stroke rehabilitation. A function-based Approach (Fourth ed.). United States of America: Elsevier.
- Gill, T. M., Guo, Z., & Allore, H. G. 2006. The Epidemiology Of Bathing Disability In Older Persons. Journal American Geriatrics Society, 54, 1524-1530.
- Ginsberg, L. 2007. Lecture notes: Neurologi. Edisi 8 (Terj. dari Lecture Notes : Neurology, 8th Edition, Wardhani, I. R.). Jakarta: Penerbit Erlangga.
- Gofir, A. 2009. Managemen Stroke. Yogyakarta:Pustaka Cendekia Press. P.19-20
- Grotta James I. Et all. 2015. Stroke: Pathophysiology, Diagnosis, and Management. United States of America: Elsevier.
- Harmoko. 2012. Asuhan Keperawatan Keluarga. Yogyakarta : Pustaka Pelajar
- Harsono. 2007. Kapita Selekta Neurologi. Edisi ke-2. Yogyakarta:Gadjah Mada Univercsity Press, halaman 86-88.
- Henderson, S. 2004. The Role Of The Clinical Nurse Specialist In Medical-Surgical Nursing. Medsurg Nursing, 13 (1), 38-41.
- Hidayat, A. A. 2007. Metode penelitian dan teknik analisis data. Jakarta: Salemba Medika.
- Hilton, P. A. 2004. Fundamental Nursing Skills. London and Philadelphia:Whurr Publishers.
- Irfan, M. 2012. Fisioterapi Bagi Insan Stroke (Edisi Pertama ed.). Yogyakarta: Graha Ilmu.
- Javier, Francisco. 2012. Determining Quality Of Life In Stroke Survivors. Expert Rev. Pharmacoecon. Outcomes Res. 12(2), 199-211
Authors published in this journal agree to the following terms:
- The copyright of each article is held by its author.
- Author grants the journal first publication rights with the work simultaneously licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License or CC BY-NC 4.0 license, allowing others to share the work with acknowledgment of authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors may enter into separate additional contractual agreements for the non-exclusive distribution of the published journal version of the work (for example, posting it to an institutional repository or publishing it in a book), with acknowledgment of their initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g. in an Institutional Repository or on their website) before and during the submission process, as this can result in a productive exchange, as well as earlier and larger citations of the published work.
- Articles and all related material published are distributed under Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License or CC BY-NC 4.0 license.
All articles in this journal are the sole responsibility of the author. Journal of Nursing Science Update (JNSU) provides open access to anyone so that the information and findings in this article are useful for everyone. JNSU can be accessed and downloaded free of charge, free of charge, subject to Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License or CC BY-NC 4.0 license .
JNSU is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License or CC BY-NC 4.0 license.